Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)

Today I had the great pleasure of watching an entire days worth of my favourite actor of all time, Mr. Cary Grant. Turner Classic Movies was good enough to provide this divine entertainment for me. They showed such films as Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home, To Catch a Thief, Father Goose and my film of the day, The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer.

This is a film I have wanted to see for a few years now. Not only is Cary Grant the star, but we get to see a rarity, Shirley Temple in her teenage years. She stars as the "bobby-soxer", aka what they used to call teens in the late 40s/early 50s.

Her character, Susan "falls in love" with the bachelor, Grant upon setting her eyes on her during a school assembly which he is the guest speaker. Things become complicated and oh so screwball once her older sister, a court judge, Margaret (played by Myrna Loy) gets involved.

It is a delightful and charming screwball comedy and I enjoyed every minute. Cary Grant has yet to let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment