Monday, August 23, 2010

And Now for Something Completely Different (1971)

I think most of us, in some way or another, have grown up with parents/grandparents/friends who are fans of Monty Python. Let's be honest, you don't have to be British to appreciate the wild and zany sense of humour this comedy troop exudes! While it was a style I didn't exactly "get" when I was younger, now it is all clear to me and whenever I watch a Monty Python film or an episode of "Flying Circus", I am laughing to the point of tears.
I believe that for the majority of us, the first MP film you'd be exposed to is a true classic, that of course being "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Here's a favourite scene:

It had been some time since I dived back into the world of Monty Python and recently felt the need to change that. I came across And Now for Something Completely Different on my On-Demand and knew it would be the movie to make my night. It really did! This is a film that very much lives up to it's title. For it is similar to Flying Circus in so many ways. It has no clear direction; there is truly a scene to tickle everyone's fancy, and as the content is ever changing, its hard to move your eyes from the screen.

My favourite "bits" would be: the deliquent hooligan grannies who go about the neighbourhood Clockwork Orange "droog" style causing a rukus; the lumberjack song of course, being Canadian, it just has to be a favourite; and the infamous fruit sketch as seen below.

All those combine prove to create anyone a quality few hours full of laughs and guffaws!

No comments:

Post a Comment